The Halting Point

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

PokerSavvy...or how to dodge the law

So, first off I will disclose that this post is paid for by PokerSavvy, and Online Poker site. When I saw this opportunity listed on PayPerPost, I was a bit shocked since I know that online poker is now illegal in the U.S. and the primary audience of the bloggers of PPP is in the U.S. In any event, it seems they get around this with a loophole where you sign up for a poker room and win "SavvyPoints", which you can exchange for crap online. I don't see any listing of what you can get with these points, but I assume it is nothing too worthwhile.

In addition, this isn't even an actual poker site, its an affiliate site which for those not in the know...does the legwork of marketing, etc. to get new customers for the sites they are affiliates for, and they receive a commission. At least they were fairly up front about this in their FAQ unlike most online internet businesses that fall into the same category as online poker.

It also seems they have a bevvy of poker articles which may or may not be useful to you. Ah the joy of +/- opportunities on PPP...I get to write whatever the hell I want about something and get paid even if what I write isn't positive.

6 Comments:

  • Can we be a little more stringent on saying that the law doesn't ban internet gambling, but bans banks and credit card companies from transferring funds to internet gambling companies, where the funds would be used to cover gambling debts?

    The gambling itself is still legal--you just have to get your ante in through different means.

    By Blogger Erik, at 11/08/2006 10:36 AM  

  • Ha! So THAT'S why the poker websites advertised on the poker tournaments on ESPN2, etc. are very clear that they are "not a gambling site"!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/13/2006 1:46 PM  

  • Yes Erik, thank you for clarifying. I hope everybody realizes by now that I know jack shit about the law and to take all of my legal comments with a grain of salt. And none of what I say is legal advice!

    By Blogger Halting Point, at 11/16/2006 7:21 PM  

  • Hi,

    I'm of course a bit biased but I'd like to point out that SavvyPoints can be redeemed for a lot of prizes that are worth a lot of money. For example, a user can sign up for a single poker room like Mansion and get 900 SavvyPoints worth $90 in cash or an iPod shuffle. We have some users who have earned well over $1500 in cash and prizes. So the gifts are legit and valuable.

    Thanks for reading.

    By Blogger pokersavvy, at 12/08/2006 3:25 AM  

  • I realy feel for the gamblers in the US. I cant beleive your Congress banned all banks and credit card companies from accepting transactions from online gambling sites which makes you unable to play online poker. What a bunch of hypocrites your state government are. They have the largest gambling operations with lotto, keno, etc. If they truly believed their rhetoric about internet gambling they would cut out the state operations also. And now they are bringing in a law to legalise slot machines. Personally I would have a big grudge against any party that stopped me from playing on a online poker site. I think there must be some way for you guys to get around this problem. Must make you wonder if you are living in the land of the free when it seems the government has full control on what it will and wont let you do.

    By Anonymous Poker Paul, at 1/23/2008 6:28 AM  

  • I wish to understand a lot more about this because it in fact catches my attention. Keep on posting useful facts about this dude! Thank you so considerably for sharing.
    --------------------------
    My website: All Poker Bonus offers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/22/2011 1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home