The Halting Point

Thursday, October 05, 2006

TechCruch's Love/Hate Relationship With PPP

TechCruch recently posted a story about the PayPerPost blog advertising service that I currently use to fund this site. Of course, this is freely hosted, so what I mean by that is it funds the time I spend writing here and providing you all with content to soak up like the little news sponges you are.

It seems PayPerPost just acquired $3mm in VC funding which definitely goes to show they have a viable business. But TechCrunch seems to take issue with the ethical concerns that come up. I too have concerns about this, particulary for opportunities REQUIRING a positive review. Which is why I opt to only take opportunities marked "+/-" which means I can say whatever the hell I want about things, positive or negative. This allows me to make money...basically by providing them with a "sponsored" post, and giving them the credibility of having my site (with a Google PageRank of 5) link to them, while at the same time allowing me to maintain journalistic integrity.

As I've said before...this sort of service is a godsend to small and medium size blogs unable to monetize through Adsense and other ad programs. I will be paid $10 for this post. Compared with the $11 I've made in the entire time my blog has been active through Adsense. You be the judge whether this is a good thing or not.

3 Comments:

  • You sir, are a tool. That is, you're a tool if you think you can keep all that phat caysh for yourself and keep me listed as a contributor. I think that if I ever post anything here, you owe me a beer.

    In other news, I'm thinking more about that comic we talked about.

    By Blogger Erik, at 10/06/2006 5:16 PM  

  • If you'd like you...you know...contribute, I'd be more than happy to give you a percentage of the AdSense profits. But the PPP stuff pays me for the post I make, not the site's traffic. Feel free to sign up though.

    By Blogger Halting Point, at 10/07/2006 12:38 PM  

  • um yeah, just had to say you are the coolest guy ever Mike. Where would I be without you to explain this stuff to me.

    By Blogger Jessie, at 11/09/2006 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home